Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July and Day 4 of 33 - Reducing debt

This is the posts of 4's! Before I get into day 4, I have to say, by opening up this dialogue with many of my friends this last week or two, I am very blessed. My friends and family have been very supportive and willing to help out. I am looking forward to spending the latter half of this week(4 days) in Lake Tahoe with my family and being able to relax a little. I hope everyone had a great 4th of July. God Bless America!!

Day 4: Extra Payments, Extra Deposits
This is a simple process of making extra payments to your creditors and yourself. NCN tells us in this blog to just try and make an extra payment to your creditor. Here it is in his words: "Remember, most creditors base the amount of interest they charge you on your daily balance. So, get those extra payments in as soon as you can, and you’ll reduce your monthly interest charges." I never looked at it that way. Less interest=less debt.

I have been contemplating two things right now, and whatever step I make wil be the plan we use to eliminate the debt.
#1: Go with a credit counseling agency and pay them an extra fee to help lower my payments, or...
#2: Transfer my balances to a 0% credit card for 12 months and pay the $90 one time fee on each transfer. 3 cards=$180 max.
I am curious about anyone's experience with this. I have never done either one of them. Please let me know what you think by posting...

No comments: